Friday, December 7, 2012

Snow and such.

Of all of the years I wish I had snow outside for my students, this is the one! Joshua, Olivier and Joseph have never experienced nor learned about winter before, so today's story about snow quickly 'snowballed' into explanations about building forts, catching flakes on your tongue, and frozen rivers. I pulled up a youtube video that showed people skating on an outdoor ice rink and they were totally mesmerized as we watched them coast around. 
Due to our limited 'cold' resources in this 90-degree weather, we then made paper snowmen as a part of our study on shapes. The whole concept of piling the balls and dressing it up like a person was very amusing for them. I am still chuckling at Olivier's earnest question, "the nose is a carrot!?!?"
I can only imagine how fun it will be for them to make one with real snow someday!



And as an added perk to this 'winter theme', there is an unusually gusty wind blowing outside my open window this afternoon. A giant grey cloud has blocked the intense afternoon sun from radiating in, enough that I can get away with lighting candles in my apartment. If I close my eyes, I could almost be tricked into believing that there is a snowstorm happening outside. 13 days and counting until my dreaming of a white Christmas is a reality... At least I hope so! :)

1 comment:

Rachel Mangomi said...

They have been asking SO MANY questions about snow! Last night I was making dinner and heard Olivier ask Kenol, "Daddy, if you catch a snowflake on your tongue does it really turn to water?" So cute!