Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hurricane Sandy.

Last night I slept wrapped in 2 big blankets. Now that's a big deal.
With Hurricane Sandy passing nearby, I look out from my kitchen table and see the trees swaying rhythmically as the tempests flow by. The rare heavy grey skies overhead give me reasons to do uncommon things like light candles instead of oscillate fans, and make soup for lunch instead of cold guacamole.
This morning, my boys wore coats to school and I wore jeans (another rarity). We had to adjust our seating due to a few leaky spots, and we read from Psalm 107.


Some went out on the sea in ships;
    they were merchants on the mighty waters.
24 
They saw the works of the Lord,
    his wonderful deeds in the deep.
25 
For he spoke and stirred up a tempest
    that lifted high the waves.
26 
They mounted up to the heavens and went down to the depths;
    in their peril their courage melted away.
27 
They reeled and staggered;
    they were at their wits’ end.
28 
Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
    and he brought them out of their distress.
29 
He stilled the storm to a whisper;
    the waves of the sea were hushed.
30 
They were glad when it grew calm,
    and he guided them to their desired haven.
31 
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love
    and his wonderful deeds for mankind.


It's on days like today that I feel small and powerless. The thick clouds, forceful wind and gusty sounds of the strongest trees being threatened remind me that I am fragile and helpless. But in the words of David, this is where I see the Lord's powerful hand moving. It's when we are made weak, we can better know the strength of the One who is strong. It is here I testify His wonderful works.


What peace I find in David's words that the Lord heard the prayers of His people whose courage had melted away. He attends Hie ear to the cries of His people. He stills the storm to a whisper. He guides us to a safe haven.
Today I've been reminded to lift my eyes to the One who is faithful and has power to save us from the storms that invade, whether outside our homes or inside our hearts. May we rest in His care and thank Him for His unfailing love.

No comments: