Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wonderfully unexpected.

It's been a while since I've sat on this couch. My apartment's screened entrance has become like a revolving door as I step in and out of the different contexts, lesson plans and people groups of the day. Despite the busyness of my routine, I cherish the early mornings with a cold cup of iced tea and my Bible. It's these moments that truly have sustained me and kept me centred when the hours of the day seemingly begin to unravel.... Staying fixed on the blessings rather than the burdens are what keep me going. And let me tell you, the blessings aren't hard to find!

Let me tell you just one quick story about the Lord's goodness this week...
As many of you already know, ever since I left Haiti this past June we have been on a hunt for an assistant to pick up some of the slack in the classroom this fall. With such a wide range of grades along with a second language in the mix, I can use all of the help I can get! But weeks turned into months, and though we had several qualified applicants for the position, nothing was really 'clicking'. I didn't have much of a choice but to accept that fact that I would be starting my year solo, all the while continuing to pray alongside many others that the Lord would provide in His timing. 

Several nights ago, I sat on the guesthouse porch with the staff girls as we ate dinner, and a few newcomers who are a part of this fall's intern class (serving at MOH from September through December) stopped to chat with us. As we were getting to know one another, I learned that one of the girls in particular (Lindsey) had received her degree in Education a few years earlier and had since worked as a high school math teacher. As you can imagine, I was immediately enthused to chat with her more in depth and since then, she has begun working with me in the classroom, focussing specifically on Noah and Caleb's grade 7 and 8 courses - her specialty. :)
Needless to say, it's been more than I could ask to have her not just as a qualified assistant, but a new friend! And most of all, it's pretty amazing to look back and see how the Lord had been planning this all along... He truly provides in the most wonderfully unexpected ways!

No comments: