Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Eyes to see.

A few evenings ago, I took a stroll with Julien, one of the twin babies who lives at the Hope House.
His curious eyes and pointer fingers were fully engaged as the chickens skittered across the gravel paths, the trees waving in the wind to the clouds above, and the vibrant flowers bursting from their branches. His little voice narrated in baby talk all that he was taking in - Everything was so new and exciting to discover.
I followed his eyes and we left the sidewalk to get a little closer to the beautiful pink blossoms bursting with life. There I held out a cluster of petals where I watched him touch and smell and learn how to say 'fle' (Creole for 'flower'). 

It was a moment I will cherish - guiding Julien in his discovery of God's incredible creation, while at the same time, having a fresh discovery of my own. 
I wondered in that moment what it would look like if I had eyes to see like this little boy in my arms. If everything was new, and full of life and potential. Because as I wrap up another year on this island, sometimes my tendency is to forget the lustre of life, as the 'newness' has worn off. I want to look through an untainted lens, but instead Satan wants to trip me up with a mundane outlook that prevents me from seeing and experiencing the joy that is happening around me.

As I watched Julien take in the sun setting in the west, the countless leaves of green, the kids running and jumping and laughing on their way to the kitchen, I wondered if I could see it with the same eyes of wonder and enthusiasm. The Lord is so faithful in bringing across such never-before-seen beauties, I just have to take the time to notice.

And so, as I step onto the brink of another school year in Haiti, committing to all that is seen and unseen, I pray that I may have eyes to see the beauties and glimpses of heaven that are to come. I want to fully re-discover the endless goodness that awaits at each turn.
Tonight the sky is clear and the stars scatter the sky in a picture-perfect display.  Thank you Jesus for giving our eyes such magnificent glories to behold. May we always have the eyes to see.


The Lord has done these things, and they are marvellous in our eyes. 
This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
~ Psalm 118:23-24

No comments: