Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sounds.

I've got one best books I've ever read sitting on my coffee table, and I'm not even done it yet. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp has shaken and stirred me in new and inspiring ways.
It's a book about finding joy in the ordinary. A challenge to awaken a thankful spirit in the even in the mundane, and breathe gratitude.

Her words have echoed through my days lately, and I've found myself counting and discovering some of the most beautiful gifts - as if I'm receiving them for the first time. Yesterday I paused as I filled up my water cup in the kitchen and began to listen to the sounds around me. Sounds that I am blessed to hear.
In the past 24 hours, here's what I came up with:

- Gurgling, cold water flowing out of my water dispenser
- The faint blaring of a clown car horn from a truck barreling down Route Nasyonal 1
- A rustling, cool breeze whispering through the tree leaves outside my window
- Harmonies of the Hope House children drifting up the hill from their breakfast prayer
- The electric buzz of my repaired ceiling fan
- Tip-tapping of fingers on the keyboard
- Jingle rings of a cell phone
- Roaring diesel engines
- The opening spritz of a Coke bottle
- Squeaky screen doors
- New playlists
- Familiar voices on the other side of my Skype screen
- The finger strums of guitar chords being learned
- The chirp of a lizard on the balcony
- Creole chatter
- Humming sewing machines at 3cords
- Flip flops clapping with the soles of my feet on the way to school
- Haitian radio static
- Pierre's laugh

Keep listening, my friends.
:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sigh.
see you soon.
with my heart.