Thursday, September 3, 2009

Me too.

I've heard it said that the most powerful phrase in the English language are two simple words:
Me too.
I agree that it's not as earth-shattering as one might think, but oh, the remarkable effects that a simple understanding can have. When somebody can echo the very experience, the pain, the joy, the insight, the lessons and emotions of life, it means more than one can express. There is something about someone else being 'there', that produces more fuel for the race, simply by knowing that you are not alone.
Over the years, I've had many amazing people who have repeated those wonderful words to me in times when I needed it most. The Lord has blessed me abundantly with friends who care deeply, show genuine understanding and who have demonstrated sincere love. I don't think I would be who I am today without the support of these people. God is the source of all true peace and love, but I feel very thankful for the people He has given me with 'skin on'.
It's also been a joy for me to repeat these words to those around me who are going through circumstances that I once went through, or am currently experiencing. I believe that the purpose of some of the most difficult things I've faced so far are so that I get to be the one to truly understand and comfort those who are there now.
One thing I've noticed over time, is the way that my 'me too' people have come and gone. I've experienced things in my life which have created both hurts and passions that are difficult for many in my generation bracket can relate to. Some people that I once resonated with have found a different trail on the journey, and I instead I find myself relating to some very unlikely sources. To name a few: a retired African missionary, an autobiographer and founder of the Mercy and Sharing Foundation, a country songwriter, and a nursing student from Kansas City. These are not people I would have ever expected to click with, however the more I open myself up, the more I become aware of the Lord providing people who surprise me with a 'me too' response. I realize over the course of this year and from those walking beside me on this path, that I don't need to be afraid of pursuing my passions (no matter how outlandish they seem) in fear of becoming disconnected.
Here is a verse that inspires me to keep on:
Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that... Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.
> Galatians 6:4
I'm thankful for this reminder of beauty of individuality, and the peace that comes in knowing that as I pursue all that I was created for, the Lord knows what and who I need to get me through.

No comments: