Sunday, July 26, 2009

The wait.

Then the Lord said to me,
Write my answer plainly on tablets, so that a runner can carry the correct message to others.
This vision is for a future time. It describes the end, and it will be fulfilled. If it seems slow in coming, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed.
Habakkuk 2:2-3

I came across this verse yesterday. It's a beautiful reminder of God's perfect timing. It reminded me of how many times have I waited for something... And about the things I'm waiting for right now.
What I realized in these words is that no matter how much I believe that MY timing is right, I need to wait upon the Lord. Looking back over my life I can testify how divine and perfect God's timing is. And yet in these days of waiting and hoping, I find myself again in a place of restlessness and fear.
The words in these verses was such a blessing to my heart because it reminded me that God has my life in His hands and even in the times when I've felt that my prayers have been unanswered, or He's forgotten about me, this verse promises that it WILL BE FULFILLED.
The catch is, like it says in the verse, the things that my heart desires for the most may be slow in coming. They may not be an instant answer. It takes patience and faith. But just because these things don't come in my timing, the promise that it will surely take place is such an assurance to my heart.
And then the end - how it will not be delayed... That's a sweet line. The point is, that God's timing isn't mine, so although these things are delayed in my timing, and the waiting may seem in vain, God's got it all worked out. He has the bigger picture, the full story from start to finish, and He is unravelling each of our stories day by day. He isn't making it up as He goes. He doesn't make mistakes. He doesn't miss a beat. He can be trusted.
I want to rest in the assurance that His ways are always higher, His story is always greater, and His timing is always perfect.
I am so thankful that His timing is never delayed.

No comments: