Friday, January 16, 2009

Sing

It's been a very moving evening.
I just got back from the Hope House and I don't really know where to start, all I know is that so far this night has been one of the most memorable nights I've had in Haiti so far, and I know that I need to blog about it.
This afternoon Rachel mentioned to me that there would be a special time with the Hope House kids tonight before the funeral tomorrow. Kind of like a preparation for what will be coming. I didn't really know what to expect when I arrived, and I was trusting the Lord to help me comfort the children, despite my lacking language. When I arrived though, I was shocked at what I found. There were benches set up outside and all of the kids were sitting together and singing praise songs. As I entered some of the kids came up to greet me and led me over to the other children. Two of the boys had guitars that they were strumming, not on key, but one of the older boys was leading the songs from a seat in the back. He would begin singing a song and soon all of the kids would join in as loud and wholeheartedly as I've ever seen or heard.
If there is a song that would honour God the most, I think I just witnessed it, coming from the lips of these dear children.
Just days after losing their sister, time stood still as these children sang from the bottom of their hearts words like "I could sing of Your love forever" and "Saviour, He can move the mountains, my God is mighty to save, He is mighty to save".
As I stood there in that moment with them under a crystal sky of stars, I felt the Lord there in such a present way. He was comforting His children and they were returning their praise. It was beautiful.
As the evening went on both Rachel and Madame Delva, who is the head mommy at the Hope House both shared and prepared the children for what to expect tomorrow. They walked through the program and told the children about what was to come, and also answered many of the questions that the children had.
Tomorrow will undoubtedly be hard, but there is hope because we will do it together. I am thankful for the blessing these children have been to me, and the amazing example of what it means to praise Jesus in the storm. Praising Him simply for who He is.
I go to bed tonight with their voices ringing in my mind and the memory of a beautiful girl who is singing along, and she is with her King.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for giving us another glimpse into your experiences. I am praying that the Lord will comfort HIS children - I know He will use you mightily in the days ahead!!!!

Darcie said...

What a beautiful picture you've painted here Diana. What a beautiful act of surrender, giving it all to Jesus when the pain feels too much. I know the Lord will make His presence abundantly known today as you celebrate the life of a beautiful girl. Thanks for sharing :).